Listing your business online can provide a number of benefits and can be an essential part of your overall marketing strategy. Here are some important reasons for why you should list your business online:
- Increased Visibility: Business listings can increase your business's visibility in search engine results, making it easier for potential customers to find you when they search for businesses like yours. However, in order to maximise the potential of your business showing up in online searches, some thought needs to go into how you create the listings. Doing some key word research and creating your listing based on targeted keywords will help optimise your listings. This is especially important as more and more people rely on search engines to find products and services.
- Reach a Wider Audience: By listing your business online, you can reach a wider audience beyond your local community. Many online directories and search engines allow users to filter results by location, so you can still attract local customers while also reaching potential customers from other areas.
- Build Credibility: Listing your business on reputable online directories is important. Reputable directories can help build credibility and trust with potential customers and also search engines. Be careful, as you don't want to list your business on a website that Google considers low-quality or even spammy. A well-crafted listing with accurate information, positive reviews, and a professional appearance can make your business seem more trustworthy and reputable.
- Cost-Effective: Many online directories and platforms offer free or low-cost listings, making it a cost-effective way to promote your business.
- Increase Website Traffic: A listing on an online directory can also drive traffic to your business's website. A link to your website from an online directory can help boost your search engine rankings, which can lead to more traffic and potential customers. In the SEO world (Search Engine Optimisation) this is called "back linking". Again, the directory of choice should be considered, as you want the back-link to be from a somewhat reputable directory, at least in the eyes of Google.
Overall, listing your business online can be an effective way to increase visibility, credibility, and reach potential customers. It's a low-cost way to market your business and can provide significant benefits in the long term, particularly as part of your SEO profile, every little "signal" adds up in the eyes of search engines.
Here's a short list of sites or types of directories you can begin listing your business on. Don't forget to add a link back to your website! (if it's an option).
- Google Business
One of the most important. It will place your business on Google maps and create a listing card that shows up in Google searches for your local area. This is a must-have.
- Local & International Directories
Popular international directories such as Yelp and local directories such as Finda are a great place to list your business to increase visibility and create back-links.
- Social Media
Facebook, reddit, Twitter, Neighbourly. Create some accounts or pages and get posting. Talk about your industry and promote your website. Often the algorithms on these sites will require you to create meaningful and relevant posts regularly in order to gain a decent following and rank well on searches.
- Industry Specific Directories & Message Boards
Directories & message boards that are specific to your industry. This might be done at your local business hub or chamber of commerce.